Thursday, February 14, 2008

Leaving today to Aleppo

Right now I'm sitting on my suitcase trying to get it closed. The Green Monster suit is so big I almost have no space left to get any "real clothes" in there. But hey, who needs real clothes anyway?
The head I'll have to carry as hand luggage. I really hope authorities won't give me a hard time on that. Trying to think of a good justification for it if I'm asked...

Issa Touma has arranged for a permit for our activities. The hardest thing to explain was "why?", why do I want to do this, specially why do I want to do a workshop with children, "their children". Syrian authorities get very suspicious of everything that has no real, clear goal. What do I exactly want? Of course I can't say I'm trying to make them more tolerant for monsters... it was really a challenge to put it in other words, specially when things like the child's "developing coordination skills", "through a movement workshop", "get awareness of the body" don't make any sense for them either. I tried "entertainment" in the end, and it seemed to work... I hope it stays that way.

Now I don't know exactly what to expect.
Will I have a security force around me so tight that people can't even reach me?
Will I be able to fulfill my plan?
I know a lot has to be decided then and there. That's why I'm so much looking forward to arrive. I almost can't believe we're actually leaving!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bruno Freitas de Oliveira said...

Minha querida boa sorte com o projecto e as autoridades!

February 15, 2008 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Bruno Freitas de Oliveira said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 17, 2008 at 3:27 AM  
Blogger Bruno Freitas de Oliveira said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM  
Blogger Bruno Freitas de Oliveira said...

my dear Marta my love i have just been reading your blog... it's gorgeous!

moving and tender with the gentleness of your character and the strength of your ideas and opinions!

i agree with Jost! not usual but i do! you should for sure look into writing! you do it so well with no fear or awkwardness and the clarity that i envy so much...

you know how much i relate to your topics and how similar we are, so you can imagine why it feels so special to me...

"The child sees everything in a state of newness; he is always drunk. Nothing more resembles what we call inspiration than the delight with which a child absorbs form and colour. I am prepared to go even further and assert that inspiration has something in common with a convulsion, and that every sublime thought is accompanied by a more or less violent nervous shock which has its repercussion in the very core of the brain. The man of genius has sound nerves, while those of a child are weak. With the one, Reason has take up a considerable position; with the other, Sensibility is almost the hole being. But genius is nothing more than childhood recovered at will - a childhood now equipped for self-expression with manhood's capacities and a power of analysis which enables it to order the mass of raw material which it has involuntarily accumulated. It is by this deep and joyful curiosity that we may explain the fixed and animally ecstatic gaze of a child confronted with something new, whatever it be, wether a face or a landscape, gilding, colours, shimmering stuffs, or the magic of physical beauty..."

CHARLES BAUDELAIRE - The Painter of Modern Life and Other Essays

please promise me you will consider it Marta? write just write!

check our post-graduate blog

http://www.pgcsketchblog.com/

if you go to the Epson post you can see a selection of 10 pictures that are a preview of what we sent to the Epson competition... you have to guess which one is mine!

huge hug enormous kiss

bruno

February 17, 2008 at 4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home